Kidds Quality Cleaning Spotting Chart
This information is given for those who want to try to remove spots on their own. Some people prefer not to attempt to clean spots on their own. In that case, we are happy to come out and remove them for you.
To avoid damaging your carpet, follow the instructions below exactly. Do not use these procedures on upholstered furniture, where spot cleaning can cause permanent stains. You are better off leaving this for us to clean.
Important cautions for using dry cleaning fluid (DCF):
- Use a spoon or dull knife to remove solid materials.
- Blot up liquids with a clean white towel. Never rub, scrub, or use a brush; this can permanently damage carpet fibers.
- Work from the outside to the center with large spills.
- Apply all cleaning agents to a white towel, never directly to the carpet as this can damage the backing.
- Use the steps and solutions in the cleaning code in the order given until you no longer see improvement, then go on to the next step if the spot remains.
- Always use vinegar as the last step before rinsing. If you have used ammonia, even if the spot is already gone. Vinegar neutralizes the ammonia. It is not necessary to neutralize the vinegar.
- Rinse the last cleaning solution you use by either spraying with clear water (do not pour water on) and blotting with a dry white towel or by blotting with a clean, damp, white towel.
- Once you have removed all the visible stain, place a clean white towel on top of it and weight it with a heavy color fast object such as a plastic wastebasket with a weight inside. Leave overnight. Replace with a new dry towel if it is not dry the next morning. Continue to replace the towel until it is almost dry. Gently brush the carpet pile with your hand to lift the tufts. Allow carpet to completely dry before walking on it.
Wear rubber gloves, work in a well ventilated area and never pour directly onto carpet, this can damage the backing. Don't Turn A Spot Into A Stain!
Beware! Many of the spot cleaners designed for carpets that you find in a grocery or hardware store can damage your carpet. Often these products contain color lighteners, which are designed to lighten the dark spots.
The problem is that they can also take color out of some carpets. Often this will show up as a yellow or orange stain on a white carpet, or a lighter area in colored carpets. Because the original color has actually been removed by the spotter, professional cleaning will not get rid of the lighter spot.
To avoid this problem, around a year ago, we began giving our customers a spot cleaner that is safe for all carpets. If you do not have one of our spotters already, our technician will give you a bottle the next time we perform a cleaning for you.
To keep you on the right track, we will refill your spotter bottle without charge each time we come out to clean. If you run out of spotter between cleanings, just bring it to our office for a free refill. We want to help you keep your carpet looking beautiful! Leather Care
Leather is unique as an upholstery fabric because it is the skin of an animal. As such, it has special characteristics and requires special care. One big benefit of leather is that it can outlast ordinary upholstery fabric four to one if it is properly cared for. Here are some do's and don'ts to help you properly care for your leather furniture.
- Don't put leather furniture near a heat source or in direct sunlight
- Don't use saddle soap, oil, all-purpose cleaners or solvents on leather.
Any of these could damage the finish
- Don't rub leather excessively when cleaning up spills.
- Do blot up spills quickly with a soft dry cloth or plain white paper towel
- Do vacuum leather furniture weekly to keep the leather pores free from dust particles.
- Use a soft brush attachment on your vacuum.
- Do have leather furniture cleaned every six months to two years, depending on the amount of wear.
Kidds expertly cleans all types of leather: aniline, protected leather and nubuck (also called suede). Just give us a call and we'll be happy to inspect your furniture and give you a firm quote for cleaning and protecting it.